Sunday, April 10, 2011

Harry's 4th Birthday Cake

I recently posted here about holding Harry's 4th birthday party a few months late. Ok, I won't win any mother of the year awards for that one but he was thrilled to finally celebrate his birthday with his friends from preschool.
After consulation with Harry and our cake expert (aka Karen) we were in agreeance that this number 4 cake was the easiest, I mean best, option! :)
It is from the Australian Woman's Weekly Party Cake book (thanks Sarah!) and was actually really easy to make. We used a mixture of chocolate cake with a small section in vanilla.
Lots of red butter frosting later and Karen had the cake looking fab.
Then it was time to tint the fondant grey and get rolling. The roads were super easy to make and tic tacs were used to mark out the lines.
We found some cars from the $2 shop and used one of Harry's wooden trains for the railway section (licorice).
I thought Karen did a fantastic job of the cake and Harry absolutely loved it. I highly recommend it as a simple option for any little boys turning the big four. :)
I will share a few photos from the party in the coming week. :)

No comments: