Saturday, May 21, 2011

Thinking Outside the Square When it Comes to Decorating

Today I thought I would share one of my favourite tips for decorating our home. I love picking up new ideas from all over the place, including magazines, Pinterest , blogs and other people's homes. :) Some of these ideas are affordable but many are not, so I have taken to thinking outside the square and adapting them to suit my budget...or lack thereof!
For a long time I have been searching for an inexpensive white ceramic jug to hold all our kitchen utensils. I didn't think this would be too hard a task but several months later and I still hadn't found one which was the right size and price. Then I remembered that I had this old biscuit jar (from the good old Red Shed a few years ago) sitting in the corner of our cupboard, unused and unloved. I hauled it out of semi-retirement, ditched the wooden lid and it now has a new life again on our kitchen bench!
It was the right size for the job and I just flipped the jar around so the 'Biscuits' sign couldn't be seen. It certainly isn't rocket science but I just hadn't thought of using it in that way before. By thinking outside the square when it comes to decorating, you can find new and creative ways to repurpose items in your home and gain a lot of satisfaction in doing so.
Have a look around your home and see what you can do to give an old item a new life in another part of your home. Would the cushions in your lounge room look great in your bedroom too? Would an old battered chair look great at your dining table as a feature chair? Would the throw on your bed look fantastic in your lounge room? Experiment with what you have and enjoy it. :)

No comments: